We have also declared war on the Jimny’s halogen lamps with the combination of daytime running lights and fog lights. Originally we wanted to use a daytime running light and fog light combination from Osram or, alternatively, Nolden. Unfortunately, at the time of the planned upgrade, many others had this idea, which is why the products of both manufacturers were hopelessly sold out in the foreseeable future.
Initially as a temporary solution, we then decided on a very inexpensive accessory variant in order to bridge the delivery time of the other manufacturers.
The correct size and the combination of daytime running lights and fog lights were important to us. With 85 € for the complete e-approved set including cable set and all holders, we were very surprised and satisfied, at least in terms of costs.
Since we didn’t want to start tinkering with the wiring harness on the vehicle side, we changed the connections of the fog lights to match the Jimny. So for this solution you should be able to crimp connectors yourself.
Installation in the apron is possible without dismantling it, although not necessarily convenient. After loosening the front wheel arches, the four screw connections of the fog lights are accessible. The fit of our accessory headlights on the connection side in the apron is great, exactly the same mounting points as the standard headlights can be used. Since you don’t have too much freedom of movement due to the only loosened wheel arch, assembly is a bit fiddly. It took us around 60 minutes to dismantle, assemble and adjust the connector for both sides. In the future, we would probably remove the wheelhouses even further in order to improve accessibility, in which case the assembly would certainly be more relaxed and faster.
Viewed from the outside, the headlight glass is not completely flush with the apron. We can live with this small detail, but we don’t want to leave it unmentioned.
After installation, the fog lights must definitely be adjusted! If you want to do it properly, you need appropriate test equipment. Your local workshop will surely help you for a small fee.
On the CAN bus side, we have not encountered any difficulties so far. After a few months, we discovered slight condensation on the glasses with rapidly changing temperatures. This phenomenon did not occur during operation or with less pronounced temperature jumps.
All in all, we are surprised how well the inexpensive variant is doing. So far you have not seen any need to change and have ticked this project for the time being.